By Ron Cain- Personal Trainer
Tag: Personal Training
By Ross Baines – Physiotherapist
The concept of prehab for surgery is now recognized as a major factor in getting the best post operative function.
Research demonstrates that patients who participate in pre-op exercise programs regain their functional capability faster and better than those patients who don’t undertake appropriate exercises before the surgery.
In an article in the Rebalance MD Magazine in 2016, Dr. Lucas Pugh, an Orthopaedic Surgeon at ReBalance says “research has shown the importance of optimizing patients before major surgery to maximize their results after surgery. For instance, the concept of ‘pre-hab’ or prehabilitation involves exercising to increase strength and fitness prior to surgery and eventual rehabilitation. The consensus is that this does improve pain and function.”
Here in Victoria BC, preop clinics are routine for procedures such as hip and knee replacements. At these clinics there is education about the procedure and post op care. It is important to be informed about post op rehab as the most patients get very little physiotherapy in hospital as their stay is less than 48 hours. Prehab clinics teach patients about using crutches, how to do the post op exercises and how function will progress. Practicing these tasks before surgery helps with compliance and function after surgery.
PhysioPlus can support patients to achieve a successful outcome after joint replacement surgery through the following services
- GLA:D – this research based program improves mobility, alignment and muscle control to improve function and reduce pain for patients with hip and knee arthritis. This program is suitable for patients with pain and disability wanting to improve their function prior to joint replacement, or as postop rehab.
- BodyFit – a customized training program designed by our experienced physiotherapists and personal trainer. The BodyFit program is suitable as prehab or rehab. BodyFit is more suited to the patient with higher expectations of function requiring both injury specific and general fitness training. The BodyFit program aims to:
- Review Fitness
- Rehab Injuries
- Restore Ability
- Reach Goals
- Physio@Home – to get mobile again after hip or knee replacement we can arrange physiotherapy at your home. Christine Morrison is experienced and resourceful having worked in hospitals and VIHA community care services to help patients improve function and independence after joint replacements.
By Ross Baines – Physiotherapist & Ron Cain- Personal Trainer @ PhysioPlus
With age or injury your fitness program will need to be customised to meet your needs and your goals.
The BodyFit program is designed to:
- Review Fitness – where you are now and what could be improved – weight /cardio / strength / spinal mobility
- Rehab Injuries – exercises specific to your rehab designed by an experienced physiotherapist and personal trainer
- Restore Ability – specific to your needs
- Reach Goals – modified goals that are realistic and important to you
BodyFit is suitable for conditions such as:
- Post operative rehab – to get the best function after joint replacements or spinal surgery.
- Medical Conditions – such as diabetes or heart disease.
- Chronic Injuries – like shoulder instability, tendonitis or patello-femoral pain.
- Multiple Trauma – fractures and multiple soft tissue injuries benefit from customised exercise.
Our physiotherapists understand orthopaedics; the orthopaedic protocols, the importance of post-op protection, and graded rehabilitation.
Our personal trainer Ron Cain is a great communicator and coach. His focus is on the active older adult who wants to regain fitness and function to enjoy their “prime time.”
The BodyFit program will involve a physiotherapy consultation to plan your specific exercise rehabilitation and communicate this with the personal trainer. Personal training will take place in our onsite gym or the adjacent Parkside gym & pool where ongoing memberships can be purchased to continue exercise independently. A 20 punch card can be purchased at the Parkside Hotel for $80 and lasts 6 months.